Written By: Makenzie Pick
It’s finally winter break. The crazy nights of studying are over for a bit, and we can all relax for four weeks. I firmly believe break is meant for days of Netflix, vacation, time spent with the family (and pets of course), and nights with friends.
This is the month when we all get a break from school and stress, which also makes it a great time to get ready for Dance Marathon. The Big Event is right around the corner, so take this break to prepare. Here are eight things you can do over break to get yourself ready for some of the best 24 hours of the year!
1. Make a list of reasons why you dance. It might come in handy when you need a little extra boost of motivation at the Big Event
2. Get your outfit ready for your theme hour. Theme hours are an excuse for a change of clothes, and the kiddos love to see everyone dressed up for their theme hours throughout the event.
3. Make sure to get all of your lime gear together. There is no such thing as too much lime at the Big Event, so go all out. Lime socks, headbands, hair bows, shorts, shoelaces, and bracelets are only a few of the many lime accessories you are sure to see at the Big Event.
4. Take this time to talk to your relatives about donating. Many people are in the giving mood around this time of year, so it’s the perfect time to tell them about what Dance Marathon is and what we do. Share your online giving page with them, and make sure to tell them your story.
5. Go canning at home. Decorate a box or a can with the Dance Marathon logo and information, and take it around your neighborhood. If you aren’t from around Iowa City, chances are people may not know what DM is, so take the time to explain to them what we do and how the money they donate will help a kiddo or a family.
6. Practice your dance moves. Seriously. People bring their best moves to the Big Event, and trust me when I say the kiddos leave it all on the dance floor. You’ll want to make sure to have a few moves up your sleeve for when power hour comes.
7. Bring your most comfortable pair of tennis shoes back to school after break. You’ll need them. Being on your feet for 24 hours straight makes the right pair of shoes extremely important.
8. Get everything together you may want to put in a fanny pack for the event. This includes chapstick, deodorant, a camera, Band-Aids, and whatever else you might want. Although they may not be back in style (yet), fanny packs are the epitome of cool at the Big Event. If you don’t have one, lime green ones will be sold after break.
Break is a time for relaxing, but it is also a time to get excited and prepared for the Big Event. It will be here before you know it, so make sure you have everything you need to have the best experience pos