Written By: Makenzie Pick
The Big Event is 24 hours packed full of entertainment and the options of what to participate in are not scarce. If you have never experienced the Big Event before, the amount of activities going on might be a bit overwhelming, so here’s a list of 10 things to make time for during the event.
- Eat the pancakes. These pancakes are amazing, and after dancing for hours a plate of pancakes is one of the most welcome sights. Also, watching them prepare enough pancakes for everyone at the Big Event is quite entertaining by itself.
- Learn the morale dance. The morale dance will be done every hour, so take the time to learn at least some of it. It’s much more fun to dance with them than to watch every time.
- Listen to a family speaker. If you ever need a bit of motivation to get through the event, here it is. The family speakers come to the event to share their story with everyone and remind us why we are raising money and dancing.
- Dance every second of power hour. If you haven’t heard of Power Hour or participated in Power Hour yet, then you’re in for a serious treat. This is the most intense hour of dancing you can imagine. Everyone takes the last bit of energy they have and puts it into celebrating the last hour of the event. This is one hour you definitely don’t want to miss.
- Get your DM apparel. If you haven’t already gotten your DM apparel, then the Big Event is the perfect place to get it. We’ve got you covered on all things lime and DM.
- Meet new people. Dance Marathon is a perfect place to get to know new people. Nothing brings people together like showing off your best dance moves for 24 hours. Put yourself out there, and don’t be afraid to talk to people you don’t know.
- Participate in your theme hour. Theme hour is great for two reasons. First of all, it’s a chance to change clothes, and we all know a change of clothes is more than welcome after a few hours of dancing. But more importantly, the kiddos love to see everyone dressed up for theme hour, and it gives you a chance to identify with your morale group.
- Wander around outside the main ballroom. Trying to list everything that is going to happen at the Big Event is nearly impossible, so make sure you take the time to wander around the IMU. Find all of the activities and choose for yourself what you want to spend your time doing.
- Listen to one of the bands. Each year one or two bands come to the Big Event to perform for us and provide even more entertainment. You may not know all of their songs, but seeing a live band in the middle of the night is something you don’t want to miss.
- Get to know a kiddo. These kids who come to dance and hang out with us are the reason Dance Marathon exists. Talk to one. Dance with one. Gain motivation to continue to dance all night from the kiddos. After all, everything we do is FTK.
Ultimately how you spend the Big Event is entirely up to you. There will never be a lack of activities going on, so put on your lime and get ready to have an exciting, exhausting, rewarding 24 hour