Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the last three and a half years, you’re probably aware of the amazing new children’s hospital currently under construction at the University of Iowa. If you have been wanting to know more about this fantastic new addition to the hospital than you’re in luck! Here’s a list of some of the awesomeness that’s related to the new children’s hospital!
- Remember that one time I told you there are 14 floors in this new hospital (refer to awesome fact #6)? Well floor 11 will be named the University of Iowa Dance Marathon Pediatric Cancer Center! How cool is that?!
- Dance Marathon made a 10-year pledge for $5 million to the new children’s hospital, which was the largest donation from Dance Marathon’s 20 years of fundraising!
- The glass exterior and elongated shape of the hospital allows for sunlight to come into the hospital. Research shows that nature can really play a large role when helping patients, so the hospital was purposefully designed to access the outside environment!
- The input from the kiddos and their families were major aspects when planning the logistics for the new building.
- This new addition is coming with some pretty fantastic features for the kiddos and their families to make for a comfortable and playful environment. Some of these features include:
- A children’s theater
- Playrooms for the kiddo’s siblings
- A children’s library
- Dining room
- Larger rooms for parents to stay overnight
- There are 14 stories to the new children’s hospital!
- The new hospital is about 507,000 square feet in new construction with an additional 56,250 square feet of renovated existing space!
- The renovation of the children’s hospital costs approximately $292 million, and none of it is from tax dollars! It is entirely funded through bonds, patient revenue, and private gifts, including Dance Marathon’s $5 million donation!
- Where is this impressive new addition located you ask? You can find the children’s hospital south of the existing hospital, overlooking our beloved Kinnick Stadium.
- Oh yeah, and what’s even cooler than floor #11’s name is the fact that it will be providing kiddos and their families a view into Kinnick Stadium! So cheer extra loud this year for the kiddos!
If this list doesn’t blow your mind, then I’m not sure what will! Keep fundraising and supporting Dance Marathon! Every little thing we do results in something so much bigger, like this amazing new hospital!
Don’t forget, everything we do is FTK!
Written by: Kaity Meade